FEATURED COMPANY: UNIVERSITY OF NEWCASTLE
The University of Newcastle is a world-class education and research institution, ranked in the top 3 per cent of universities worldwide. The University has approximately 39,000 student enrolments, 1,000 academic staff and 1,550 Professional staff. As the most research-intensive university in regional Australia, we pride ourselves on strong industry partnerships that offer innovative solutions for businesses both locally and internationally.
The University was looking to increase engagement with Industry in the Defence sector seeking information on potential opportunities, support, information on the sector and conferences.
The Hunter Defence Project has been imaking connections and sharing knowledge of the Defence sector, both locally and nationally and provided:
- Information on various Defence activities and opportunities.
- Assisted with appropriate govt support.
- Include University in various activities.
- Provided latest information on Defence and industry news. Ensured that company was promoted in various publications.
- Ensured that Linkage / connection with NSW Trade & Investment including Ken Gillespie and other govt support was provided.
- Provided various opportunities from Defence and other organisations.
- Company presented at various activities. Ensured that appropriate presenters provided appropriate information. Coordinated UON’s opportunity to present at Defence Conference and supported the University’s Defence and Security Innovation showcase.
- Supported UON at various government and industry presentations, conferences and exhibitions.
- Trade show workshop.
- With support of HunterNet staff providing assistance and information for various activities.
Regular attendance by UON researchers at monthly HunterNet Defence Forum events highlighting how valuable these events are in making connections and gaining an understanding of the Defence Sector. Ensure attendance by the University at state and national events e.g. SADIG NSW Industry Workshop on the Defence White Paper 2015 and Land Forces 2015.
Increased awareness of UON research expertise by local, national and international companies. Joined RPDE as an Associate Member in January with one researcher already participating in RPDE Workshop. UON currently in discussions about potentially funded research and key partnerships.
Through the Defence Project has provided:
- Institution connections to Defence agencies and individual researcher connections with other HunterNet members.
- Executed contract with RPDE as an Associate member
- Increased opportunities for promotion of UON research capabilities and academic staff. Knowledge of Defence activities and opportunities.
Established contacts within Defence sector for potential collaborative research projects. Increased university profile in Defence sector.
Contact: Brett Hopkinson
University of Newcastle University Dr
Callaghan NSW 2308
P: (02) 4921 6025